Monday, July 23, 2018

Songs About Love That I Love

Bridgett Burk and Jeff South have already posted their antidote blogs to the 20-day poisoning of our "Songs I Hate" Blog Club project, so I'm jumping on the bandwagon with five songs of my own. The tack I'm taking starts with a story, as I'm a writer and a teacher, and I usually think of my life in terms of the metaphor of storytelling.

In this story, my former wife and I began our first tenuous steps toward reconciliation (and later, reunion) without intention or expectation. We were already parents of six kids together, so we knew that at the very least, we wanted to be friends again. It didn't take long, however, to discover that the love shared over 20-plus years of marriage runs deep, and sooner than either of us expected, we were falling in love with each other again.

One night, after telling her goodnight and floating back to my car, I turned on the radio for the drive home and "Amazed" by the country band Lonestar came on the local miscellaneous pop station. I had sung this song to Amy in karaoke performances years ago, and listening to it again tapped into a deep wellspring of happy memories.

By the time I got home, I already had plans for a Spotify playlist. Late into that same night, the list had taken shape with about 30 songs. Now standing at 55 songs with a runtime of 3 hours and 40 minutes, my "Restoration" playlist is usually on at my computer or on my phone through my car stereo on a daily basis.

So to wrap up this month of songs we hate with an antidote of love and happiness, I give you my five essential songs from my soundtrack of second chances:

"Crazy for You" by Madonna
Far and away the best song of Madonna's entire career for my money, this romantic ballad was featured in the soundtrack of the wrestling drama Vision Quest. A huge hit in the eighties, I still consider it perhaps the best slow-dance song of the decade.

"Get Here" by Oleta Adams
This magnificent vocalist was featured on the Tears for Fears album The Seeds of Love, which gave Ms. Adams the fame and acclaim she so obviously deserves. I love the sentiment in the lyrics, "I don't care how you get here, just get here if you can."

"The Luckiest" by Ben Folds
Perhaps the most beautiful and strange love song I've ever heard, this gem was gifted to me by Steve Lewis in a mix CD titled Welcome to the 21st Century. It was a response to my assertion that I didn't like any music made after the year 2000. Most of the tracks on that CD are now some of my favorites, and this is one of the top three (in case you're curious, the other two are "Common People" by William Shatner and "Simple Song" by The Shins).

"High" by The Cure
When I met Amy in 1995, the Cure's album Wish was already one of my favorites. "High" is the second track on the album, and I've always thought of Amy whenever I listen to this song. The melody is so joyful, and lyrics like "And when I see you / Take the same sweet steps / You used to take / I know I'll keep on holding you / My arms so tight / I'll never let you / Go" perfectly describe how I feel.

"Weekend in New England" by Barry Manilow
It's not a romantic playlist without Barry Manilow, and this is hands down, for me, the greatest song of his career. It's meant to be sung at top volume like your very heart depends on it. Try it out and see if you can keep from grinning!

Thanks to all of you who followed us through this musical minefield this month. We've been discussing some ideas for our next Blog Club project, and I can promise that whatever we decide, it's going to be uplifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment