Thursday, July 5, 2018

Most Hated Songs #16: "What's Up?" by Four Non-Blondes

Rounding out the category of Overplayed to Death is my #16 most hated song, "What's Up?" by Four Non-Blondes. I hate everything about this song. I hate the melody. I hate the lyrics. I hate the chorus. I hate the sound of the singer's voice. I hate her stupid-ass white-girl dreadlocks. As far as I know, this is the only song by this group that ever charted, but it's one song too many.

Everything about this song is irritating, especially the fact that the chorus asks, ad nauseum, "What's going on?" but the song is titled "What's Up?" I can only assume that this was done so that people wouldn't confuse this pile of rubbish with Marvin Gaye's classic "What's Going On," but upon listening, there was no chance of that ever happening.

Inexplicably, this wretched song continues to get radio airplay on a variety of genres. You know how some songs from the past come on the radio, and you get happy because you like the song but haven't heard it in quite a while? Yeah, "What's Up?" is the exact opposite; I remember how much I hate this song and wish that it would never get played again...ever.

I'd rather...re-live any one of the days during the interminable period when Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" was #1 on MTV's daily request show forever, like some scuzz-ball version of "Groundhog Day," than to ever listen to this song again.

Dante's Inferno Level Two: Everyone involved on this song spends eternity as roadies for Tiffany on a shopping mall performance tour of recession-torn Rust Belt states.

Listen instead to: Nothing by this group, but for a marvelous version of what FNB's singer was likely trying to imitate, listen to "Joey" by Concrete Blonde.


No comments:

Post a Comment