Friday, July 13, 2018

Most Hated Songs #8: "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake

Coming in at #8 in the category Rock and Roll Hell is "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake. This British band is a blatant Led Zeppelin wannabe group, and I'm not an LZ fan (save your rage for later...you're gonna need it), so blatant and inferior imitations need not apply.

This song was ubiquitous on radio and MTV during its popularity, due in no small part to supermodel Tawny Kitaen writhing around on the hood of a car. This moment was the pinnacle of their career, thankfully, and they evaporated into insignificance shorty thereafter. Except, you know, for the fact that classic rock radio still plays this damned song about 15 times a day.

I don't like anything about this song. I hate the slow open and the keyboards. I hate the generic pop metal beat in the verse, and I especially hate lead singer David Coverdale's screaming vocals on the chorus. Rock music lends itself to lyrical cliches, and this song is one of the worst offenders, offering insipid bromides as wisdom and significance.

I know that many who read this will disagree and talk about their love for this song. I'm sure that you have fond memories of listening to it at your prom, on a first date, at your wedding reception, or day in and day out on your favorite classic rock station. I understand. I really do. And I feel for you...

...because you have terrible taste in music.

I'd rather...perform Mr. Miyagi's "wax on, wax off" technique on every car on the planet than ever have to endure this song again.

Dante's Inferno Level Six: An eternity tuning Jimmy Page's guitars but never being allowed to play so much as an E chord.

Listen instead to: pop metal done right..."Hysteria" by Def Leppard

No comments:

Post a Comment