Monday, December 17, 2018

Twelve Songs of Christmas: #7—"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by MercyMe


I still love the Brenda Lee original, and it's a guaranteed sing-along for me every time it comes on, but I have a special affinity for this modern update of the Christmas classic by contemporary Christian rock band MercyMe. Their version brings a new energy to an old favorite.

My personal affinity is heightened by the fact that during my last time through the Christmas season as the drummer for the praise band at Fellowship Church in 2016, this was part of our Advent song rotation. Led by singer/guitarist Robert Monroe, the Fellowship band was, IMHO, far and away the best praise band in southeast Missouri. I've had the honor to play with a lot of great musicians through the years at Fellowship, and they all made me a better drummer for the experience.

Most Christmas songs, even for praise band, are pretty routine, even boring in a lot of cases. Not this one. It was a straight-out rocker for us, even more edgy than the MercyMe recording that we based our cover on. I'm pretty self-centered as a drummer; to me, a good song is one that gives me something interesting and fun to do. "Rockin'" was the best of all the Christmas songs we ever did in that regard...no holding back, no "Silent Night," just play it loud and fast.

I haven't decided if I'm retired or just in hiatus from worship music at this point. I don't have a gig that's opened up yet, but I'm certainly open to possibilities. I guess you could call me a free agent at this point. Make me an offer. But I did have 13 good years with a great band. Not bad for a mediocre drummer like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment