Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Twelve Songs of Christmas: #12—"Sleigh Ride" by The Ronettes

The song that kicks off my countdown is the perfect tune to kick off the Christmas season. "Sleigh Ride" was written in 1948 by Leroy Anderson, with lyrics added by Mitchell Parish in 1950. There have been countless versions of the song throughout the years, all of which I enjoy every time, but this 1963 version by The Ronettes is head-and-shoulders above all the rest for me.

I know that in retrospect, Phil Spector is a human reptile, but in spite of that, his signature "Wall of Sound" technique build musical layers that best feature Ronnie Spector's lead vocals as well as the "Ring-a-ling-a-ling, ding-dong-ding" of the background vocals that drives the song forward.

The holiday season is almost always a busy rush for most people, but especially for those who embrace Christmas in either its religious or secular activities (and often both at the same time). The up-tempo joyfulness of this song keeps my spirits light and my feet moving, especially when there is so much to do before the 25th. Giddy-up, giddy-up, giddy-up, let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment