Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Most Quotable Movies #1: The Princess Bride

I watched this movie a couple of weeks ago with my wife, Amy, and I realized that The Princess Bride should have been included somewhere in my top 25 favorite movies of all time. This is one of the most wonderful movies ever made, with performances that are funny and touching, villainous and heroic, absurd and relatable. It is a fairy tale for both people who think that fairy tales are silly diversions as well as people who would prefer to live in a fairy tale world.

There isn't a moment of this film that is wasted time or space, and director Rob Reiner is at the pinnacle of his skills throughout. The cast is equally brilliant, each actor somehow stealing each scene they're featured in without overshadowing their castmates. And since we're talking about quotable lines, you can find one in just about every minute of dialogue. Brilliant films require brilliant scripts, and this one is from William Goldman, which he adapted from his original novel.

This is one of those movies that will, in time, join the ranks of timeless classics such as Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, and The Shawshank Redemption, films that are rewatched from generation to generation and cherished like a beloved family heirloom.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die..."

Quotes, quotes, quotes, and more quotes! There is no limit to perfection!

Grandpa: That day, she was amazed to discover that when he was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you." And even more amazing was the day she realized she truly loved him back.

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE!
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders—the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia"—but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"!

Buttercup: We'll never survive.
Westley: Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has.

Prince Humperdinck: Surrender.
Westley: You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.

Vizzini: I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.
Man in Black: You're that smart?
Vizzini: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
Man in Black: Yes.
Vizzini: Morons.

Miracle Max: Beat it or I'll call the Brute Squad.
Fezzik: I'm on the Brute Squad.
Miracle Max: [sees Fezzik] You ARE the Brute Squad!

The Impressive Clergyman: Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder today. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam... 

Miracle Max: Have fun stormin' da castle.
Valerie: Think it'll work?
Miracle Max: It would take a miracle.

Westley: We are men of action, lies do not become us.

Inigo Montoya: Are you the Miracle Max who worked for the king all those years?
Miracle Max: The King's stinking son fired me, and thank you so much for bringing up such a painful subject. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it? We're closed.

Prince Humperdinck: [sincerely] Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.
Count Rugen: Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything.

Westley: Give us the gate key.
Yellin: I have no gate key.
Inigo Montoya: Fezzik, tear his arms off.
Yellin: Oh, you mean *this* gate key.

Grandson: Grandpa, maybe you could come over and read it again to me tomorrow.
Grandpa: As you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment