Sunday, August 5, 2018

Most Quotable Movies #4: Die Hard

Die Hard is, IMHO, the greatest action movie of all time. It's also a Christmas movie (don't argue about it; it just is) as well as my fourth most quotable movie. I quote this film at least one or two times a day, and it never loses its luster for me. Die Hard not only made an action hero out of Bruce Willis and a movie star out of Alan Rickman, it completely redefined the action movie genre from the time of its release until today. Just about every scene in the movie has a quotable line in it.

This really is a film that deserves to be seen on a huge screen in a theater. I saw it in the big theater at the Esquire in St. Louis in 70mm, and the larger-than-life venue upped the ante on every beat of the film as it unfolded. I would love to see something like a 3D IMAX reissue of the original...I would be there faster than Dick Thornburgh could get the scoop on his competition.

"NOW I HAVE A MACHINE GUN...HO-HO-HO!"

Ten (more) Quotable Lines

John McClane: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs...

Supervisor: [as McClane tries to call up police] Attention, whoever you are, this channel is reserved for emergency calls only.
John McClane: No fucking shit, lady! Does it sound like I'm ordering a pizza?

Hans Gruber: Do you really think you have a chance against us, Mr. Cowboy?
John McClane: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker!

Dwayne T. Robinson: This is Deputy Chief of Police, Dwayne T. Robinson, and I am in charge of this situation.
John McClane: Oh, you're in charge? Well, I got some bad news for you *Dwayne*, from up here it doesn't look like you're in charge of jack shit.

John McClane: Welcome to the party, pal!

Ginny: [Karl smashes a table of glasses in fury] God. That man looks *really* pissed.
Holly: He's still alive.
Ginny: What?
Holly: Only John can drive somebody that crazy.

Dwayne T. Robinson: We're gonna need some more FBI guys, I guess.

Hans Gruber: The circuits that cannot be cut are cut automatically in response to a terrorist incident. You asked for miracles, Theo, I give you the F.B.I.

Theo: [laughing as a LAPD SWAT armored vehicle is hit with a missile] Oh my God, the quarterback is TOAST!

John McClane: Happy trails, Hans!

No comments:

Post a Comment