Friday, June 19, 2015

21 for 21: #3—Kate Bush, "The Sensual World"

I've finally reached the medal platform, and earning the bronze in my #3 spot among my favorite CDs in my collection is "The Sensual World" by Kate Bush. Released in 1989, it was her sixth album. It climbed all the way to #2 in the U.K. and made it as far as #43 in the U.S. It's also one of the most wonderful pieces of music I've ever owned.

I think it was in an article at Cracked.com that I first read this quote, and it's one of the most true statements I've ever seen: "There are two types of people: those who love Kate Bush, and those who are wrong." This was actually the second CD I ever purchased (trivia: "Broadcast" by Cutting Crew was the first). I was late to the CD party, not wanting to give up on vinyl until it was too late.

I already was a fan, having seen her videos for "Running Up That Hill" and "Hounds of Love" late at night on MTV when they played the weird stuff. I also had her entire "Hounds of Love" album on cassette when "The Sensual World" was released. At the time I bought the CD, the only song I knew was "This Woman's Work" because it had also appeared on the soundtrack of John Hughes' movie "She Having a Baby."

Every song on the CD is just amazing, so I won't bore you with a detailed breakdown, but here are a few highlights. The opening track, "The Sensual World," draws from the Molly Bloom chapter of James Joyce's "Ulysses" to weave an enticing, erotic spell on the listener from the outset. Next comes the driving beat of "Love and Anger," which also features Pink Floyd guitarist Dave Gilmour.

Some of the other notable tracks are "Reaching Out" and "Heads We're Dancing," along with, of course, Kate's vocal virtuosity on "This Woman's Work." My absolute favorite song on the whole CD, however, is "Deeper Understanding." Kate was decades ahead of Spike Jonze and Joaquin Phoenix's wonderfully melancholy film "Her" in her musical story of a lonely woman who falls in love with her computer. Featuring haunting background vocals from the Trio Bulgarka, female vocalists from Bulgaria, it's one of the most beautifully emotional songs ever recorded.


No comments:

Post a Comment