Thursday, June 11, 2015

21 for 21: #11—Michael McDermott, "620 W. Surf"

Making its way just on the cusp of the top ten in my "21 for 21" countdown of my 21 favorite CDs from my collection is one of my most personal and sentimental favorites, "620 W. Surf," the debut album by Chicago singer-songwriter Michael McDermott. I've owned this CD since 1991, and after hundreds of listens, it still hasn't grown stale.

McDermott was hailed as the "next Bob Dylan" when his album hit the charts. His music definitely has that same folk rock feel as Dylan, and he plays a mean harmonica, but McDermott's voice is light-years better than Dylan's ever was. Stephen King himself was a fan, writing, "Not since I first heard Bruce Springsteen singing 'Rosalita' had I heard someone who excited me so much as a listener, who turned my dials so high, who just made me feel so (expletive) happy to have ears."*

He's not kidding. This is a great album. Every song tells a story, and every tune is appealing. The music encompasses folk, rock, blues, and country, all played with confidence and assurance. The sad thing is, McDermott threw away a promising career by succumbing to the rock lifestyle of booze and drugs. By his own admission, "By the time I was 24, I was over.*

But along the way, he got married and had a kid, kicked his cocaine habit and backed off on his drinking, and he's back to making music, which includes playing live and reprising the songs from his debut album. I saw McDermott play live at The Blue Note in Columbia. There weren't many in the club that night, so I stood next to the stage for most of the show. I've been a fan ever since, and the album is another of my go-to discs for when I write fiction. His storytelling inspires my own.

Here's his 2011 live performance of the opening track (and biggest hit) from the album, "A Wall I Must Climb." I still get excited when I hear those snare beats that kick off the song.


* quotes taken from a Chicago Tribune article by Mark Caro

No comments:

Post a Comment