Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Top 100 Favorite Songs: 90-81

#90: "Left of Center" by Suzanne Vega (Album: Pretty in Pink Soundtrack, 1986)
My favorite song by Suzanne Vega, this is also my favorite song from one of the best soundtrack albums from the Eighties; Pretty in Pink is filled with a plethora of alternative gems.

#89: "Sunny Came Home" by Shawn Colvin (Album: A Few Small Repairs, 1996)
Some of the best songs are the ones that tell a complete and coherent story, and Shawn Colvin's folk-tinged ballad about a girl's revenge via arson is not only compelling, but her lovely voice makes it resonate with depths of emotion.

#88: "Hysteria" by Def Leppard (Album: Hysteria, 1987)
Throughout the late Eighties and early Nineties, this was easily my favorite song of all time. While other, more mature selections have pushed this song toward the bottom of my list, it's still a source of nostalgiac happiness for me.

#87: "Major Tom (Coming Home)" by Peter Schilling (Album: Error in the System, 1982)
German vocalist Peter Schilling picks up the story of David Bowie's doomed astronaut Major Tom where "Space Oddity" left off and brings him back home in a New Wave techno classic. This song is a maximum volume sing-along for me: 4...3...2...1...

#86: Time (Clock of the Heart) by Culture Club (Album: Kissing to be Clever, 1982)
This has been my favorite Culture Club song since my first listen to their debut album, and having seen Boy George and the remaining members of the band last fall, it's still just as wonderful as ever. I especially love the use of the bell chimes in the last chorus; it's such a beautiful touch. Say what you will about BG, but the man can flat-out sing.

#85: "Take On Me" by a-ha (Album: Hunting High and Low, 1985)
An infectiously catchy synth melody, impossibly high lyrical vocals (you know you tried to hit those high notes as you sang along), and still one of the most eye-popping videos ever made make this Scandinavian band's biggest U.S. hit an all-time classic.

#84: "She-Bop" by Cyndi Lauper (Album: She's So Unusual, 1983)
The best song ever about female masturbation (yes, I'm including Divinyls "I Touch Myself"), I'm still not sure how this song ever got any radio or MTV airplay, especially when the subject matter became part of the discussion. My initial omission of this song was so egregious I removed "You Can't Hurry Love" by Phil Collins out of the #90 spot (I love his version of the song, especially the syncopated backbeat) and moved Cyndi to this spot. Consider Phil part of the HM list now.

#83: "Love Shack" by The B-52s (Album: Cosmic Thing, 1989)
The ubiquitous party anthem of the early Nineties, if you can't sing and dance along with this one, you should probably check your pulse and blood pressure.

#82: "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds (Album: Rockin' the Suburbs, 2001)
I sang this song to my wife, Amy, at our remarriage ceremony last October. I can't do justice to Folds' voice, but the sentiment of the lyrics is spot-on for our continuing journey through life together. Many thanks to Steve Lewis for introducing me to this beautiful love song.

#81: "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay (Album: Viva La Vida, 2008)
Another contribution to my collection from Steve Lewis, this is the title track for the album of the same name. I wrote most of the second half of my most recent novel with this album playing in the background, so it's like it's a part of my identity now. Anyone who thinks they don't like Coldplay (like I used to...) should listen to this album; it will change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment