Sunday, January 1, 2017

What to Expect from 2017

It's a curious function of the Western Gregorian calendar that the movement from December 31 to January 1 causes such a hubbub of reflection, contemplation, and determination from so many people. I suppose that the concept of a "new year" could be traced in terms of evolution or anthropology to the coming of spring as a celebration of surviving the winter months. In the modern world, it's an opportunity to restart, to get a free "do-over" with whatever you wanted to accomplish the year before but didn't get to complete—or even start, in some cases.

Personal resolutions are pretty much a waste of time; most people don't last two weeks with diets, exercise plans, quitting personal vices, etc. We've all been there. I cultivated a way of life that focuses exclusively on the present 24-hour day, so I tend do avoid long-term planning beyond what I need to live safe, sane, and sober within the boundaries of my morning and evening tooth-brushing.

Having said that, there are a few things I'm looking forward to in the year upcoming. The biggest change for me is professional; my academic department at the college where I teach was merged with two others, and I chose not to be considered for the new chair's position, so my four-year stint as department chair came to an end at midnight last night. What this means is more time to grade papers at work and more time at home for having a real life again.

Speaking of that real life, I'm doing some exciting things with my writing career. I should have an announcement in a few days about the future of my first book, "Dylan's Treasure." In the meantime, I'll continue working on my revision of its sequel, "The Spring of Llanfyllin," collaborating with a friend on a collection of short stories and starting a new novel from scratch. Oh, and I'm going to try to blog on a more regular basis, both here and at my sports site, "The Sandlot."

Some travel goals: reduced workload means reduced pay, so we're keeping it real vacation-wise...real close and real cheap. Fortunately, there's a lot to do in Missouri, so we're going to visit Big Springs, Taum Sauk Mountain, Elephant Rocks, Johnson's Shut-Ins, and all of the fun and almost-free things to do in and around St. Louis Forest Park. Since my parents live in Farmington, they are strategically located for free lodging and food—thanks, Mom & Dad!

For those of you in the Poplar Bluff area, I'm starting a new study series for my Thursday night New Testament exegetical experience, theROAD. We meet Thursday nights at 6 p.m. at New Life Christian Church United on North Barron Road next to the fire station. We always have good snacks, and I do my best to dispense wisdom and insight (or heresy and blasphemy if you're religious), and we're always glad to have seekers, skeptics, and the curious join us.

I have a few more things on my mind about the 364 more days of this new year ahead of us, but I don't want to exhaust potential blog topics on day one, so you'll just have to stay tuned in. As for the rest of 2017, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, won't we? When it happens, I will try to have something meaningful to say about it. If I do have a resolution in mind, it's to do my best to be kind to others. I think it's going to both be needed and appreciated in the days to come.

May your new year be happy, joyous, and free!

1 comment: